Ronciglione is located in the Cimini mountains, over two tuff scarps, on the SE slope of the
former volcano crater now housing the Lake Vico.
The city’s economy is based largely on agriculture, with the production of nuts, chestnuts and wine.
In 1526 Ronciglione became a possession of the Farnese and lived its period of greatest
splendour: Its industries included manufacturing of copper, iron, paper, weapons and others.
Ended in 1649 the Farnese seignory and bought back by Pope Innocent X, in 1728 it received the
status of city by Pope Benedict XIII.
The Ronciglionesi took active part in the Roman Republic of 1798–99: the French troops, however,
crushed the revolt and burnt the city on July 20, 1799.
The town’s sights include:
- The Castle, originally built in the High Middle Ages, with the characteristic angle rounded towers;
- The Cathedral;
- The church of Santa Maria della Provvidenza restored in Baroque style, although still retaining a
three-floors Romanesque belfry. The interior, with a single nave, houses some frescoes from the
- The ruins of the church of St. Andrew;
- The suggestive basilica church of Sant’Eusebio, along the Via Cassia, 3 km in direction of Rome,
located on a wide alture, it was built by monks escaped from Palestine in the 7th and 8th centuries;
- Villa Lina, a villa with extensive botanical gardens, built by Ulisse Igliori for his wife Lina in 1928
and currently owned and operated as a luxury Bed and Breakfast.
Ronciglione is known for its Carnival. Established as a derivative of the Renaissance Carnival of
Rome, it has typical “empty races” in which the horses are left to run without riders. The cities are
divided into 9 contrades which contend for the “Palio of the Manna”.
Ronciglione is served by the SP1 Cimina provincial road, connecting it to SS2 Cassia national road
which starts from Rome, and to Viterbo.
There is a station on the Orte-Civitavecchia railroad, which has been abandoned in 1995. The
station was home to many movie sets.